Crowns (caps), can be used for a variety of reasons including:
- to restore teeth damaged by decay, trauma and wear
- to replace large unsightly fillings
- to improve the aesthetics and position of teeth
- help retain dentures
- provide support for bridges
- protect teeth after root canal treatment
Crowns are normally favoured when the damage is more extensive and a simple filling would not be appropriate. Crowns can replace damaged portions of the tooth as well provide protection to the remaining healthy tooth tissue ensuring a better long term outcome. There are many crowns types and materials available and the dentist will always ensure you are offered the most appropriate crown choices for your individual needs.